I don’t usually re-post something that someone else figured out, but it took me a long time to figure this out, so I thought I would share here.
The problem I had was relating to Android Studio and the emulator. I was using the emulator to test out various programs that I was working on, but it stopped working after an update. I didn’t realize it right away, as I often use my actual cell phone, rather than the emulator. I find that I can tap faster with my finger than I can click with the mouse.
Either way, some time after I did an update, I decided to use the emulator. Unfortunately it didn’t work. Not only did it not work, there were no errors. I actually had no idea of why it stopped functioning. Thus started my search for an answer. I tried just about everything before finding the right answer.
The first thing I tried was deleting and remaking a device with the AVD. Still no luck. Other people were suggesting that I move my entire Android Studio folder into the SDK folder. That didn’t work either.
Still others were deleting the AVD folder and then creating new emulators. This still was not the solution. Finally, though, I found a solution that worked:
$ cd ~/Android/Sdk/emulator/lib64/libstdc++/ $ mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.bak $ mv libstdc++.so.6.0.18 libstdc++.so.6.0.18.bak $ ln -sf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 ~/Android/Sdk/emulator/lib64/libstdc++/libstdc++.so.6 $ ln -sf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.22 ~/Android/Sdk/emulator/lib64/libstdc++/libstdc++.so.6.0.22
Lest that you think I came up with this on my own, I didn’t. I found it here on Stack Overflow, by user Martin Revert. How he came to this conclusion is beyond me, but I’m glad that he shared it, because it was just what I needed!
Hopefully, that will save someone from trying everything under the sun to fix this problem.
Linux – keep it simple.